What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Refuses to Pay Child Support

/, News/What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Refuses to Pay Child Support

What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Refuses to Pay Child Support

It’s a situation you hear about all-too-frequently. After a decision is made in the courtroom that awards custody of children to one of their parents, the other spouse is often ordered by the court to pay child support, as it’s seen as the responsibility of both the parents to support a child until either adulthood or emancipation. But what can you do if your ex-spouse is refusing to pay? Well, first off talk to your lawyer in Tampa. Then take a look at some of these options:

If you and your ex-spouse are on good terms, it might be a good idea to sit them down and try to have a discussion with them about the situation. These kinds of situations can be tricky, but it’s always possible to resolve them without needing to involve your lawyers from Tampa any further. That said, you should not hesitate to involve the authorities and your lawyers from Tampa if it can’t be solved amicably.

Depending on the state in which you live, the law might have other options to resolve the issue. One such tactic is called an “income execution.” This is basically when the law steps in directly and deducts money from your ex-spouse’s paychecks, which is then redirected to you. This solution is direct and has been known to be successful.

In some more extreme cases when an amicable solution cannot be reached and when the court-ordered amount can’t be deducted and redirected, other solutions can include the court leveling a money judgment against your ex-spouse. To put it plainly, this is when, in lieu of regular support payments, the court decides on a lump amount that will be awarded to the spouse with custody, to be paid by the other spouse. While this can sometimes be lower than what would be received through regular payments, it still sees support going to the proper place. Still other options include suspending the driver’s license or professional, occupational or business licenses of the defaulting party, or in some extreme cases, requiring a jail sentence.

While not all of these are necessarily going to happen if your ex-spouse cannot or will not make their child support payments, it’s important to know what options are at your disposal. As always, it’s helpful to consider hiring a lawyer in these situations, as help is invaluable. Check out our blog for more tips and info. Contact Fresh Legal Perspective today by calling (813) 448-1042 and ask about meeting one of our lawyers!

By |2018-04-20T22:16:06+00:00August 25th, 2017|Blog, News|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment

Thanks for your submission! We will contact you as soon as possible. For more information, please click the FAQ button below.

Please Fill the form Below:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this.